Monday, June 08, 2015

Books and also, more books

I have just one week left of my maternity leave before I return to my job at the Clarington Public Library. And as much as I love love love my little guy, I am very much looking forward to going back.

Every job has its ups and downs but fortunately for me, mine has more ups than downs. The biggest one being the obvious - I am surrounded by books upon books upon books. Not only that, but I am surrounded by book lovers, my favourite type of people. It's kind of like... being an alcoholic who works at a liquor store, except my addiction isn't as unhealthy.* My first year I worked there, I got so attached to two certain books** that my sister ended up buying them for me that Christmas and I think I've maybe read them about 5 times each.

So what will I do with my last week of "freedom"? Probably the same thing I did before I had a baby and during my maternity leave - write!  I've been writing so consistently the last week and a half that I would hate to interrupt the flow and lose my sense of purpose. It isn't easy to get away with writing every day when you have a baby that needs attention and it certainly won't be easier when I'm back at work, even though I'm only part time. But I've already made my promise to write every day and I'm going to stick to it.

Here's to many, many more books in my future!

- Natasja




*Symptoms of a book addiction include, but are not limited to: lack of sleep from reading too much, seeing words everywhere you look, inappropriately falling in love with fictional people, feeling naked while not holding a book, and utter horror when people say they "don't really read."
** Here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment