Monday, July 15, 2013

10 things I've done on my journey to becoming an author

1. I once Googled "anatomy of a book" because I couldn't remember what the spine of a book was called. This is particularly embarrassing considering I'm a librarian.

2. I also once Googled what it would be like to live on a planet with two moons. I came across a lot of interesting theories and suggestions, and finally settled on something I liked.

3. I started a book with just a list of characters, after which I complained to my sister that I didn't know what to do from there. Six weeks later, I had a finished book.

4. NaNoWriMo. Enough said.

5. This:














6. I've read my own works until I felt like clawing my eyes out. If you've ever recorded yourself talking or singing and then listened back, then you can imagine that's what it feels like to read your own writing. It's awful, but also very constructive.

7. I've looked up the meanings of every name I've used in my stories (save for the ones I made up myself, of course). There's not always a useful reason for this. I'm just really into etymology.

8. Also, this:









9. I've emailed every single chapter I've ever written, one at a time, to someone who doesn't even live in the same city as me but faithfully reads every word. I've also had all of my stories read by someone else who will write extensive, helpful comments on them. Folks, if you have someone like either one of these people in your lives, I advise you to never ever let them out of your sight.

10. I've read, and read, and read, and read, and read... to avoid having to write something when I just didn't know what to write.

- Natasja

No comments:

Post a Comment